HANDBOOK & GUIDE
SOMSD 2020-2021 Virtual Instruction Guidebook & School Schedule for Families
Download the 2019-2020 School Calendar & Handbook
It provides a quick reference and contains essential information about our school, as well as important Board of Education policies.
Ask questions, seek guidance, offer assistance, attend regular PTA meetings and stay involved. Together, we will create the most wonderful environment and experiences. Click here to read the handbook.
HARRASSMENT, INTIMIDATION & BULLYING (HIB) IN SCHOOLS
The Board of Education prohibits acts of harassment, intimidation, or bullying of a student. A safe and civil environment in school is necessary for students to learn and achieve high academic standards. Harassment, intimidation, or bullying, like other disruptive or violent behaviors, is conduct that disrupts both a student’s ability to learn and a school’s ability to educate its pupils in a safe and disciplined environment.
The purpose of the Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB) Act is to strengthen standards by which school districts prevent, report, investigate, & respond to incidents of bullying. This is a guideline that:
- Defines the anti-bullying rights act
- Describes the process on how the Principal responds to HIB
- Notes what the Anti-bullying Specialist (ABS) looks for and factors in their investigation
- Compares conflict vs bullying
- Tips on how to help your child avoid bullying
- Possible signs that your child is being bullied
- What to do if your child is being bullied
- What if my child is engaged in bullying activity
- What about records
Click here to review these and additional info on the Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB) Act.